Sunday, March 8, 2009

Playing creates Community

In our ever more complex and technological era, true person to person interaction is lost as we interact with each other via technology instead. (witness this blog) The technological revolution has brought us closer in one respect, but the need to interact in a wholesome way within our local community, person to person, is still vital.

Viola Spolin called her work Kindergarten for the 21st century. What she meant is that her work represents the fundamental skills needed for both actor and audience to meet and interact in a new and basic way. We meet as fellow players and learn from and depend on each other to create meaningful play. The audience plays too. Nobody is a passive player in Spolin's theater. This essence of play creates true community.

Her work transcends the theater in this regard. Her work is way to become 'part of the whole'. It is a way to shed the ills of the 20th Century; Ills such as authoritarian teaching and rote learning. Spolin called this the Approval/Disapproval Syndrome and classified it as the basic obstacle to a true relation with ourselves, our environment, and each other.

In Spolin Games, students and teachers work together, to discover and solve problems. Discovery learning is everyone's birthright and when one discovers a path to a solution on their own, in their own way, learning is integrated and belongs to the discoverer. The joy that accompanies this type of learning makes the exploration of any subject and the inherent skills acquired in the solving of the problem, meaningful and useful to the player forever. It is with this in mind that Viola Spolin began to formulate her theories.

Spolin chose to teach the disciplines of theater to express this greater goal. As a handbook for theater study, it has no peer. It is direct, practical, and easy (because it is fun). Improvisation for the Theater outlines a course of study that gives each and everyone the opportunity to play, be spontaneous, become self-aware and transform. These skills are necessary for our work in the theater, but are also necessary for the bigger stage of our own lives. Fulfilling the requirements of a game creates a playing field where we all become fellow players. Playing is the great key that opens our individual treasure house of intuitive understanding and our ability to act in authentic and meaningful ways.

4 comments:

  1. This is really interesting. I was at IOWest for about two years. I can't say I was ultimately successful there - I think my teachers thought I was overthinking it but I really didn't feel successful there. But everywhere I've been, Strasberg, Stanislavski, Spolin, IOWest, Mabou Mines, I have been trying to become someone who makes others better. I think I learned the most about that at IOWest (I have read everything I could get my hands on from VSpolin but haven't spent a lot of time specifically dedicated to a class or workshop in that vein), but it was something that lives in me and evolves - I didn't really succeed at it there and I was really burnt out and frustrated - the way a lot of people seem to go, come to think of it, at IO (I'm just realizing this writing it now) but the more I've thought about it over the 5 years or so since then, the more it has changed me as a person, I think for the better. But it didn't lead to great scenework for me personally. I'm very conflicted about this because I love "Yes, and" but I agree here that what I learned there made it almost impossible to start a scene. And in some ways I left there more paralyzed than when I started. But I learned a lot about being a good partner.

    I tended to be an extroverted, loud type on stage, and I think IO had a more cerebral effect on me. Stanislavksi - when I finally got it - was my favorite, but I can't give up on Improv for some reason, try as I might.

    Having said all this - one of the things I love love love about the people who DO get it at IO is exactly what you are somewhat decrying here (as I perceive it) - the focus on story. I never saw any theater really produce the kind of "Instant Theater" that I saw at IO at the top levels. Full stories, twisting, winding, balanced - they could really instantly write anything. The musicals were like no improv musicals I've seen anywhere else - full fledged shows with the heart and structure and soul of The Golden Age of Hollwood, ioin about 30 - 45 minutes. I loved watching it. On many nights it was sublime.

    That being said - in many ways I left IO with less confidence than I walked in with. I am still trying to be a far more supportive player than a stage hog - I really want to be the player who makes others better. I'm just not sure where or how that road is.

    Anyway IO really inspired me to write more - probably predictably, eh? So I've been doing that a lot more, and with a lot more success, fun, and satisfaction. I didn't do this well before IO. But I don't perform anymore. I sort of left feeling like everything I was doing was wrong.

    Thoughts?

    I find this blog a really interesting read, a really interesting subject. I usually only focus on political blogs - I write a lot more about politics and justice these days too. It hadn't occurred to me someone out there might be writing deeply about Spolin. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent several years in Viola's workshops and was terrible at it for a long time. I was even asked by Viola to consider something else. She was convinced I had no future in her class.
    I told her I enjoyed trying and even if I never got it, there was nothing more interesting to me. She let me stay and I eventually had my breaktrhoughs.
    The big breakthrough was when I stopped wanting to do well to impress her. It was the Approval /
    Dissaproval syndrome. I just bent my head forward and let the focus take me. It worked.
    But that was Viola allowing me to be terrible in her class for a long time without telling me I was 'bad at it'.
    This good/bad thing and comparing yourself to others work is the big stumbling block for you.
    The problem is also the teacher. If you get a teacher interested in your success or failure you are doomed. They will steer you that way and you'll never be on your own to improvise. You'll be trapped by wanting to impress the teacher.

    Have you tried meditating? I think Viola's work in improvisation is a meditation on acting. A kinesthetic meditaion. Do a space walk, give yourself a focus and follow it. A lot of these ideas are in Viola's book "The Lone Actor on and off Stage".
    Good luck and happy hunting.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much for the suggestions. I got back into meditation recently a little and had a weird experience with it. I finally had a handle on "mental noise", what it is and how to just notice it without judging it. Just being able to say "Ah... that is mental noise. I have a lot of it. I wonder if I can pick it up and put it over here to the side."

    Somehow this lead to more mental noise than ever. Whether I am just noticing it more... no, I think I really have much more of it. Arguments in my head with people who aren't there, internalization of world events... I am at least aware it is just noise now, at least I can say that.

    I will find "The Lone Actor" and get back to you when I've read it. I think what you describe is something I was looking for; not more strategy as an actor, but more 'the zone', the state of something like meditation, focus and creation. I think that's what I was looking for at 20 and what I am looking for still. Not a disconnected state, but a connected and peaceful place. When I can unlock joy and fun I am very productive and happy, I can't seem to resist falling into strategies and cleverness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely discussion. The overarching concept that play creates community is at the heart of improv companies and schools.

    Improv is the perfect forum for adult play:
    •Low threshold (we all improvise every day and no equipment to buy)
    •no alcohol
    •the perfect mix of structure and freedom.

    And the success of improv has to be the enjoyment and the sense of connection - not the approval of a teacher or audience.

    I'm glad I've found your blog...and look forward to reading more.

    William Hall
    www.ImprovPlaybook.com
    www.ImprovNotebook.com/blog

    ReplyDelete